Welcome and thank you for considering Pakistan Journal of Surgery and Medicine (Pak J Surg Med) as a venue for your work. We have a defined editorial, peer, and statistical review processes to evaluate manuscripts for scientific accuracy, novelty, and importance. Before submitting your manuscript, please acquaint your self with our policies and procedures.
Pre Submission Checklist
- Author Certification Proforma has been filled in and signed by all authors.
- ORCID of all authors
- Twitter ID of corresponding author
- Ethical Approval Certificate / IRB Letter
- All figures, tables are labeled in text [table 1]
- The abstract is in accordance with our guidelines
- The references are in Vancouver format with doi number where applicable.
- Manuscript Data Sheet in Excel / Spss are ready to be submitted
- I have read the Editorial Policies & Guidelines.
- I have submitted the Processing Charges and will paypublication charges upon acceptance of manuscript
- My article is within scope of this journal.
Peer Review: Pakistan Journal of Surgery and Medicine carries out a strict double blind peer review process. The peer review process is important for validation of scientific work. During the process, the manuscripts are treated as privileged communications and in case of any conflict of interests, the peer reviewers inform the editors. The manuscript is sent to two or more than two Reviewers. We practice double blind peer review system. The ultimate authority to accept or reject the manuscript rests with the Editor. Authors have the right to communicate to the editor if they do not wish their manuscript to be reviewed by a particular reviewer because of potential conflicts of interests usually professional, but they may be asked to explain or justify their concerns which is important for the editor in deciding whether to honor such request. Some manuscripts may be processed earlier at a fast pace keeping in view their importance. On receipt of the comments from reviewers, and if approved, letter of acceptance is issued to the correspondence author. Date of publication is confirmed after receipt of publication charges. If required, clarifications are sought from the authors. No article is rejected unless similar comments are received from at least two reviewers. To know more about our Peer Review Policy, please check this. Peer reviewing is an important academic undertaking and due to increasing number of specialties, the number of peer reviewers limited. Every author is required to nominate two possible reviewers at the time of submission, but it is up to the editor to accept it. This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med.
Acceptance & Rejection Criteria:
All submissions accepted at Pak J Surg Med must be VALID:
- Valid research question and hypothesis, with a relevant theory to which the research question is being posed.
- Applies correct and transparent methodology, and the study design and materials are clearly laid out.
- Language and presentation are clear and adequate, figures and tables are in line with scientific norms and standards.
- In line with PJSM’s author guidelines on editorial and ethical policies.
- Determined by grounding in existing literature through sufficient referencing and appropriate coverage of the relevant literature.
A submission may be rejected at any stage during initial validation, peer review or final validation for the following reasons:
- The manuscript does not have a valid research question or hypothesis.
- There are clear objective errors in the methodology of the study design, data collection or analysis.
- The manuscript does not conform to our editorial policies as it is not original, is plagiarized, or is a duplication of previous work.
- The language and presentation of the manuscript is not of sufficient quality for a rigorous and efficient peer review to take place.
- The study violates our ethical policies by not complying with privacy protection guidelines, ethical review board approval guidelines and internationally recognized standards for research involving humans or animals.
- The authors have not adhered to our authorship guidelines or have fabricated, falsified data or manipulated images and figures in a deceitful manner.
- The references are clearly biased (geographical, self-citation, school of thought) and do not reflect the current status of knowledge in the field.
- Based on biased or faulty analyses, the study’s conclusions are misleading and could even pose a public health threat.
- The study investigates a pseudo-scientific research question.
- Article Submission: Pak J Surg Med employs Publié for manuscript submissions. For new submission, please access here. Manuscripts should be submitted Online. Manuscripts submitted via email will not be entertained. This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med.
- Plagiarism: Manuscripts are screened for plagiarism using iThenticate and those found guilty or involved in publication misconduct are liable to be blacklisted. We follow Higher Education Commission of Pakistan’s plagiarism policy. Single source similarity <5% and maximum allowed similarity 15%. This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med.
- The manuscript(s) or data should not have been previously published or submitted elsewhere for publication. However, an analysis of previously published data can be accepted. This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med.
- In case the manuscript was earlier submitted to some other Journal and was rejected, the authors must provide full information as to why it was rejected, for proper analysis.
- Author Certification Proforma: Manuscripts must be accompanied by a letter of undertaking signed by all the authors. A scanned copy of Letter of Undertaking should also be emailed accompanied by Author Certification proforma (download ACP of PJSM from here). All manuscripts by multiple authors must be signed by all the authors and contain details of individual authors’ contributions. All authors must fulfill ICMJE criteria for authorship. In case of suspicion of gift authorship, the journal may refuse further processing of the manuscript. A maximum of four authors are allowed in single-center studies. This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med.
- Ethics Committee Approval: All manuscripts submitted to the Pakistan Journal of Surgery & Medicine involving human subject must be accompanied with certificate of Institutional Review Board / Ethics Committee Approval / waiver. This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med.
- Ethical consent: All manuscripts reporting the results of experimental investigations involving human subjects should include a statement confirming the informed consent was obtained from each subject or subject’s guardian, after approval of the experimental protocol by a local human ethics committee. This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med.
- Informed consent of the patients participating in the study should be undertaken. This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med.
- The authors as well as reviewers are expected to declare the conflict of interest if any. This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med.
- The source of funding for the study should be clearly mentioned. Authors involved in scientific misconduct may be blacklisted and barred from further submissions. This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med.
- Abstract: All manuscripts must accompany a structured abstract of up to 250 words. This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med.
- Original Article, Clinical Trial & Data Articles should have a structured abstract of up to 250 words. It should be organized into following sections
- Objectives of the study,
- Results & Conclusions. Emphasize new and important aspects of the study or observations. Authors need to be careful that the abstract reflects the content of the article accurately. Single-digit figures should be written in words i.e. 2 should be written as two.
- Original Article, Clinical Trial & Data Articles should have a structured abstract of up to 250 words. It should be organized into following sections
- Key Words: Below the abstract give six keywords, separated by comma that will assist indexers in cross-indexing the article as they are published with abstract. Use terms from the Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) list of index medicus, if suitable MeSH terms are not yet available for recently introduced terms, present terms may be used. This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med.
- Case Report/Review Article: All review articles and case reports should be preceded by a summary. Authors submitting the review manuscript should include a section describing the methods used for locating, selecting, extracting and synthesizing data, databases searched and the time period. These methods should also be summarized in the abstract. This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med.
Pak J Surg Med follows SCARE Criteria for Case Reports. Before you submit, please see the SCARE Criteria.
- Sections of Articles:All articles should be categorized into following sections. This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med.
- Introduction: This should summarize the purpose and the rationale for the study. It should neither review the subject extensively nor it should have data or conclusions of the study.
- Methodology: This should include the exact method or observation or experiment. If an apparatus is used, it’s the manufacturer’s name and address should be given in parenthesis. If the method is established, give reference but if the method is new, give enough information so that another author is able to perform it. If a drug is used, its generic name, dose, and route of administration must be given. For patients, age, sex with mean age ± standard deviation must be given. The statistical method must be mentioned and specify any general computer program used. The Info system used should be clearly mentioned.
- Results: It must be presented in the form of text, tables, and illustrations. The contents of the tables should not be repeated in the text. Instead, a reference to the table number may be given. Long articles may need subheadings within some sections (especially the Results and Discussion parts) to clarify their contents. Extra or supplementary materials and technical detail can be placed in an appendix where it will be accessible. It may be omitted from the printed version but may be published in the electronic version of the journal.
- Discussion: This should emphasize the present findings & the variations or similarities with other work done in the field by other workers. Detailed data should not be repeated in the discussion again. Emphasize the new and important aspects of the study and the conclusions that follow from them. It must be mentioned whether the hypothesis mentioned in the article is true, false or no conclusions can be derived.
- Conclusions:Conclusions should be logical and should be derived from results.
- References: The references should be in Vancouver style, should be from NLM Catalog and all referenced articles should have their own unique identifiers mentioned. Use this style for in text referencing; “he said”.
- Authorship:Authorship credit should be based on:
- Substantial contributions to conception and design, or acquisition of data, or analysis and interpretation of data;
- Drafting the article or revising it critically for important intellectual content;
- Final approval of the version to be published.
- Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved. Authors should meet conditions 1, 2, 3 and 4.
- Acquisition of funding, collection of data, or general supervision of the research group, alone does not justify authorship. All persons designated as authors should qualify for authorship & all those who qualify should be listed. A maximum number of four tables or illustrations are allowed. If their number is more, the manuscript may not be accepted for further processing.
- All persons designated as authors should qualify for authorship and all those who qualify should be listed.
- Each author should have participated sufficiently in the work to take public responsibility for appropriate portions of the content.
- In the case of more than one author in a manuscript, the contributions of each person listed as an author in the study should be mentioned.
- When a large, multi-center group has conducted the work, the group should identify the individuals who accept direct responsibility for the manuscript. These individuals should fully meet the criteria for authorship defined above and editors will ask these individuals to complete journal-specific author and conflict of interest disclosure forms. When submitting a group author manuscript, the corresponding author should clearly indicate the preferred citation and should clearly identify all individual authors as well as the group name. Other members of the group should be listed in the acknowledgments. The addition and deletion of authors may not be permitted after submission with LOU signed by authors.
- All authors should provide their ORCIDs. If you don’t have an ORCID account, register for free.
- This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med.
- Acknowledgment: All contributors who do not meet the criteria for authorship should be covered in the acknowledgment section. It should include persons who provided technical help, writing assistance and departmental head who only provided general support. Financial and material support should also be acknowledged. Persons who have contributed materially but do not justify authorship can be listed as “clinical investigators” or “participating investigators” or “Scientific advisors” or “critically reviewed the study proposal or collected data.”
- Length of the Text:
- Letter to Editor, Short Communication, E-OP 600-1000 words including summary. This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med
- Case Report= 2000 3000 words. This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med
- Original Article, Review Article, Clinical Trials, Data Article, Obituaries, Conference Reports: 3500-5000 words This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med
- Tables:Do not submit tables as photographs. Give each column an abbreviated heading. Identify statistical measures such as standard deviation and standard error of the mean. Make sure that each figure and table are cited in the text. This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med
- Figures: The figures should be sent in JPEG format with at least 300 dpi or resolution as a separate file. The desired position of any figure or table should be marked in the manuscript. This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med
- Never start a new sentence or paragraph with figures. For example, “9 patients were admitted” should be written as “Nine patients were admitted”. Single-digit figures should be written in words i.e. 2 should be written as two.
- Cover Letter: The manuscript should be accompanied by a cover letter signed by all authors stating that the manuscript has been read and approved by all the authors, the requirements as stated earlier have been fully met and each author believes that manuscript contains honest work. Mention the name, address, phone, cell phone, e-mail and Fax Number of the corresponding author who will be responsible for communicating and final approval of the proofs. Only the correspondence author should communicate with the editor. This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med
- Clinical Trials: Clinical Trials submitted for publication must be registered in the public registry, provide registration proof & all RCTs must be based on CONSORT statement. Unregistered trials will not be published. This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med
- Drug Trials: Drug trials of preparations by pharmaceutical firms who are regular advertisers of Quarterly Pakistan Journal of Surgery & Medicine will be published without any additional charges after their approval by the Review Committee. This is a basic requirement for publication with Pak J Surg Med
- Procedure: PAKISTAN JOURNAL OF SURGERY AND MEDICINE is a peer REVIEWED international medical journal. All articles on receipt for publication are immediately acknowledged but this does not mean that it has been accepted for publication. After initial screening, the manuscripts with major deficiencies, or of no interest to our readers will not be accepted for further processing and external peer-reviewed and the submitter will get an email within two weeks of submission.
- Proof Reading: The final version of the manuscript is sent to the corresponding author for proofreading before publication to avoid any mistakes. Corrections should be conveyed clearly & Editor informed by e-mail.
Effective 15th November 2020, all articles submitted to Pakistan Journal of Surgery and Medicine will be charged as per rates mentioned below. Student Articles will be charged half or publication fees will be waived off if the article is up to our standards. Authors are requested to read the submission guidelines carefully. Processing time can be increased if author’s failure to follow the instructions results in deficiencies which are identified during initial screening and internal review which have to be rectified before it is sent for external review. Fast track processing facility is not available at present and authors have to first check with us for that before arranging fast track processing fee. Incomplete submissions will not be entertained and those once rejected will not be entertained either. Carefully read and follow the instructions for authors on this website to avoid trauma to your manuscript. Regulatory bodies keep on changing their policies hence authors are advised to check for their requirements on the regulatory body websites before submission.
Processing Charges: PKR 2500 / USD 25.00 (Non Refundable)Effective November 15, 2020. To be paid upon manuscript submission
Processing Charges are waived off for following article types;
- Data Articles
- Meta analysis
- Video Articles
- Student Articles except Letter to editor.
- Publication Charges:Effective November 15, 2020. To be paid upon manuscript acceptance
- Book Reviews: PKR 10’000 / USD 100.00
- Case Report / Case Series: PKR 7500 / USD 75.00
- CME’s, Conference Reports: PKR 15’000 / USD 150.00
- Data Article, Meta Analysis: PKR 2500 / USD 25.00
- Letter to Editor: PKR 2500 / USD 25.00
- Original Article: PKR 5000 / USD 50.00
- Perspective / Short Communications: PKR 10’000 / USD 100.00
- Review Article, Perspective: PKR 5000 / USD 50.00
- Video Article: PKR 20’000 / USD 200.00
- Payment: Payment details will be communicated via email from our official email address firstname.lastname@example.org
- Printed Copy: This is an Open access online & print journal and for print copies, please request at time of article submission. Print copy will be charged separately and rates will be communicated upon printing.
- Ombudsman: In case of Disputes between Editor & author, please contact Prof. Dr Muhammad Iftikhar Hanif, Ombudsman Pakistan Journal of Surgery & Medicine.
- Video Submission: to be updated soon
For further queries and further correspondence:
Pakistan Journal of Surgery & Medicine,
PMA House, 66 Ferozepur road, Lahore, Pakistan.
www.pjsm.com.pk/submit last up dated November 15, 2020